club was formed in 1878, during the lifetime of Meyrick Bankes II, and the
ground is situated in the north west corner of Winstanley Park. The men who
formed the club were mostly employees of the estate, gardeners, gamekeepers,
joiners, stable hands and the like, who fortunately felt the need of other
sporting entertainment than wrestling, whippet racing or pigeon fancying, which
were some of the more common pastimes of the day.
first, only friendly games were played but on 20 April 1907 the club became a
founder member of the West Lancashire league, then called the Wigan and
District Cricket League. Winstanley won the Salter Cup in 1910 and after the
Great War was reformed and won the Salter Cup Again in 1931 and the Farnworth
Cup in 1935.
the second world war the only games to be played on the ground were by members
of the RAF who were billeted on the estate. At the end of the war the club was
again revived, and after much back breaking work on the ground it was made fit
for cricket again. Winstanley won the Salter Cup again in 1951, 1952 and 1955.
a result of differences in the West Lancashire League in 1962 Winstanley, along
with seven other division 1 clubs resigned from the league and formed the West
Lancs Cricket Association. Winstanley enjoyed immediate success by winning the
division 1 championship in 1963, the Rathbone Cup in 1963 and 1964, and the
Baxter Cup in 1964.
In 1978 a Centenary Dinner was held at the Brocket Arms, with
Lord and Lady Winstanley in attendance. We also beat a strong League X1 in a
celebratory Centenary match at the Park.
A setback occurred in 1979 when our landlord wanted to take
the ground back to use the land for other purposes. An offer of a ground off
Holmes House Ave was made to us but eventually our landlord relented and in
1982 the club signed a 21 year lease with JGW Bankes at our current site.
In an unsettling period in 1983 the SWLCA became the South
Lancs Cricket League followed in 1986 by a merger to form the Bass Lancs and
Merseyside League. In the same year our new ‘brick built’ pavilion was opened by Lord Winstanley.
In 1990 the club successfully applied to join the Southport & District
Amateur Cricket League that we are still in today.
1991 witnessed a memorable Sportsmans Dinner with Basil D’Oliviera
In the mid 90’s membership levels were causing concern and
in 1995 the club saw advantage in merging with Garswood CC but retained our
Up to 2002 the clubs junior section had been a thriving section
but parental support and involvement were dropping off and we suffered a 5 year
gap without junior teams until restarting up with an U9’s team in 2008.
Honours in the Southport & District league are recorded
in the club handbook and in another section of this web. We have developed a
solid relationship with our main League and been awarded finals at our ground.
The 2013 season saw the 1st X1 in Prem B, the 2ndX1 in Div2, a Sunday X1 in the West Lancs League plus 4
junior teams (boys and girls!) turning out for the club.